Course Code: 16
Surface engineering involves altering the properties of the surface of solid matters in order to reduce their degradation over time. This is accomplished by making the surface robust to the environment in which it will be used. A spectrum of topics that represent the diverse nature of the field of surface engineering includes coating, conversion, surface enhancement, surface finishing, special characterisation and testing.
Surface treatment and coatings are key technologies for enhancing many engineering tools or
components to meet the desired functional performance, aesthetics, resistance against wear and
corrosion as well as high fatigue life, to maximise the economic benefits for businesses. Aided by advances in materials and processes, surface treatment and coating technologies are playing an increasingly important role in realising new engineering breakthroughs in almost all the industry sectors, including precision engineering, aerospace, marine and offshore, O&G, Medtech, microelectronics, civil and construction, home appliances, food and beverage, water and waste treatment.
This course aims to train participants with the necessary knowledge and practical skills to embark on advanced surface engineering technologies, including surface cleaning and modification, surface
enhancement, corrosion prevention, surface characterisation methods, as well as process/product
quality control and management.
Why This Course
• Designed to specially cater to Singapore industry demand
• Delivered by technology experts with years of industrial projects’ experience
• Highly practical training which are enhanced with laboratory demonstrations & state-of-the-art equipment
• Latest knowledge and up-to-date technologies via industrial case studies
• Project-based practise sessions emphasizing on problem-solving skills
Who Should Attend
This course is recommended for
• Mangers, engineers, technicians working on surface engineering technology development/ application and product distribution/ marketing as well as equipment/facility maintenance
• Production/process directors and managers in decision-making roles for maintenance and
upgrading of infrastructure and equipment related to surface engineering.
• Personnels who are tackling issues related to surface treatment, corrosion and wear prevention,
coating/materials failures, quality control and improvement.
When & Where
Please visit our website at www.a-star.edu.sg/SIMTech/KTO for the course schedules and training venues for each module.
Course Modules and Fees
Participants will be awarded the Graduate Diploma in Precision Engineering after successfully
completing five modules. Alternatively, participants will be awarded a WSQ Statement of Attainment electronic certificate for passing any individual module of their choice.
Module 1 | Surface Enhancement and Finishing Technologies (42 hours)Module 2 | Advanced Coating Technologies for Wear & Corrosion Protection (39 hours)
Module 3 | Coating Failure Prevention and Coating Improvement (42 hours)
Module 4 | Fundamentals of Corrosion and Corrosion Prevention (42 hours)
Module 5 | Plan and Manage Project for Implementation (30 hours)
For more information about each module, please visit www.a-star.edu.sg/SIMTech/KTO
Full Course Fee: $3000.00 (before SkillsFuture Funding & GST)
• All Singaporeans and Permanent Residents aged 21 years and above can enjoy SkillsFuture funding of up to 70% of the course fee.
• Singaporean or Permanent Resident employees fully sponsored by SMEs can enjoy SkillsFuture funding support of up to 90% of the course fee under the Enhanced Training Support for Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) scheme (ETSS), subject to eligibility criteria.
• Singaporeans aged 40 years and above can enjoy SkillsFuture funding of up to 90% of the course fee under the SkillsFuture Mid-career Enhanced Subsidy.
• Singaporeans aged 25 years old and above are eligible for SkillsFuture Credit which can be used to offset course fees (for self-sponsored registrations only).
For more information about the funding, please visit SkillsFuture Singapore website at www.ssg.gov.sg
For technical enquiries, please contact: Dr Huang Zhaohong at zhhuang@SUMTECH.a-star.edu.sg